Thursday, March 8, 2012

That was not in the brochure!

We've been here for a little over one month now and there are many things we've learned during our stay here so far.  Some I've had to learn the hard way and some just by observation.  Some came easily and some by desperation.  Here is a little of what we've learned and I'm sure there is more out there but for starters....

  • McDonalds is universally the same no matter where you go.
  • Roundabouts are fun.  I haven't seen a traffic light or stopsign in weeks.
  • Don't put your laundry out to line dry the same time you decide to barbeque unless you like your clothes to smell like hamburgers the rest of the week.
  • Shoes are options.  If the Principal of the elementary school or your Physicial doesn't wear them then that is a clear sign of how this country is run.
  • Drive Through restaurants don't exist except in major cities.  Cafes and Fish and Chip shops however are dotted along every street.
  • NZ has THE BEST ice cream in the world.  Popular flavors are Hokey Pokey and Orange and Chocolate Chip!

  • The air smells so good and you can't even see the air like you can in Bakersfield.
  • I miss Downy dryer sheets.
  • Tortillas and any mexican food for that matter are just not the same.
  • I am pro school uniforms!  I can start a soap box discussion on that topic any day.
  • I can actually live without cable and a cell phone. GASP!
  • I miss Sonic on an exhausting day.  Ok, on any day really.
  • PUMP water (and most of all bottled water in NZ) comes from our little town of Putaruru.  Check a PUMP water bottle the next time you are at the store.
  • Best treats in NZ are L & P soda and Golden Crunchie Candy Bar by Cadbury.
So if you have a trip planned for New Zealand or it's some place you would like to visit.  I hope these little bits of information will be words of advice well taken.  I didn't find them in any brochures I've been looking through.



2 comments:

Laurie said...

Um, I think you need to bring me one of those candybars. It looks yummy!

Grammy said...

You may be okay without your cell phone, but I am sure missing it! Wanted to text you a couple hours ago... but *sigh* it wouldn't have done any good!