Friday, January 14, 2011

From Rebecca to Juliet

Dear Juliet,

My name is Rebecca.  The Guernsey Literary Club probably hasn’t mentioned of me since they have never met me.  I too am new to their society as I have just learned of it through their correspondence with you.

Like the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I feel my life has also been like theirs during the occupation.  Not in the way that the Germans are taking over but in the sense that I have allowed other things to take over my life the past 20 yrs.  Occupied by things of the world that I haven’t been involved in any literary works other than Super Fudge.  I think they would laugh at me if I were to take a turn during their society meetings to talk about such a simple book.

What I have learned through the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is like them, I have a new found love for reading.  The way it has taken my mind places that it had otherwise never been.  The adventures, respect for other’s opinions and experiences and the way the words on the page can change my emotions in an instance is miraculous.

I admire you and hope your new journey takes you places you thought they never would or wouldn’t have wanted.  I know my journey has and will continue to do so.

Respectfully,

Rebecca

p.s. Thanks for your great book, “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.”  Now I can mark that one off my list.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

I loved that book! I think I read it three times. At least. What a clever letter writer you are. I hope you enjoy the next book just as much.

Reality Mormon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renée said...

Totally loved that book! I want to read it again as soon as I can steal it back from my daughter. Did you ever finish the Hunger Games? I finally got our copy back if you need it.