Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time to catch some zzz's

I'd like to take a moment to give a well deserved shout out to my mom. It hit me at about 3:00 a.m. how many sleepless nights my mother had to endure while raising 5 kids. It was during the simple whisper of a child by my bedside when I realized what I had put my mother through. Flashbacks of me as a little 5 yr old girl standing by her parents bed in the dark and quietly saying "mom, I'm scared. I had a bad dream".

What do I do when it's Abby standing at my bedside? Tell her it's nothing and go back to bed so I can get back to sleep? Carry her in her room and convince her that nothing is wrong and we're just in the other room? I did what my mom did. I placed her in my bed until she was able to fall asleep then slowly carried her back to her room. Then laid there hoping I can fall asleep sometime soon. Is this the joy of motherhood? I hoped to find it in other places than my bedroom in the middle of the night. I'm just so tired and I love sleep too much. Only 18 more years of bad dreams, sick kids and sleep walking that can wake me up as early as the "got to make the doughnuts" guy.

So here's to you mom. Get a good nights sleep while the rest of us only dream of it.

2 comments:

Gail and Jenee said...

I'm honored that you should remember the tender moments like that with your mom. Well, you'll get a good night's sleep someday. . .
I can only say it's all worth it when the little ones turn out so well!!

Laurel said...

I need to read your blog more. You're an amazing mom, Bec. I love reading about your adventures with your ridiculously cute kids.
I'm tired too...for a whole different set of reasons...but at least tonight, barring a break-in or something, there will be NO ONE to wake me up.
I think I might be grateful for that.
Get some sleep!