Monday, April 23, 2012

Fast Falls and Lights Out

The past two weeks the kids have been on a school break between Term 1 and Term 2.  What do you do for two weeks in a foreign country with all the kids to keep everyone entertained?  Oh wait, it's New Zealand?  Have we forgotten what we've done so far?  There is plenty to do and amazingly enough still more to do!  While dad was at work we spent the time hanging at home, going to the indoor pool, the movies, making sandcastles at the beach, visit a neighboring town for lunch and some gelato, have a sleepover (with each other), go to the park, having picnics, going on hikes and of course the library.  It was a pretty full two weeks.

On the last weekend before they went back to school we went to Lake Taupo, the last of a few places still on our list to visit.  We are glad we did.  It's only about an hour away (like most places from where we live).  It is a huge lake that sits in the center of a volcano.  The weather is changing here as it's the beginning of fall so we didn't engage in all the activities that the lake has to offer had it been summer.  Our main purpose in going there was to see Huka Falls.  You can either drive to the top of the falls and enjoy the view or be a little more adventurous and go by jet boat.  Can you guess what we did?





                        


 We spent the rest of the day walking around town, looking at the shops checking out some other small sights along the road on our way home.  It was a fun day and something new to see and do.


Sunday came and it was good as always.  We had the opportunity to speak in the Ward we have been attending for the past 3 months.  Cordell did a great job and I did alright I think.  It was interesting because when we got there they told us there was no power in the building so there would be no working microphone or lights.  Good thing they have huge ceiling to floor windows or it would have been quite the experience to speak/yell in the dark.

I have to say that when we first left for NZ we sort of expected to be "needed" in a Ward here.  That they could use our experience that we've had in some way and our testimonies and love for the gospel to help the ward in any needs they might have.  Well, I found that to be completely opposite that very first Sunday.  According to one missionary who's been here for a very long time, this ward is one of the strongest in the stake and one he's served in so far.  It is this Ward that has served me in my needs and my family's needs while we have been here.  It is the people and their love and acceptance that have welcomed us so easily.  It's their strong love and faith in the gospel that builds me up.  The amazing Sunday School lessons that I've missed over the past years (because of being needed in other callings) and the humble R.S. lessons that has reminded me what the gospel is all about.  It is through this and other experiences since being here in NZ that has hopefully started to help make the change in me that I so desperately have been searching for.

When we say that we are going to miss New Zealand there are many MANY reasons why.  My heart is full of so much love and respect for this country, the people and all that I've learned, felt and hopefully have grown as an individual and a family.  I will forever be indebted to this country and my Heavenly Father for giving us this incredible opportunity that has been more than we could have ever hoped for in more ways than one!  It will be hard to leave but now comes the test of taking what we've learned here and using it in our lives back home.  We are excited to see what the next chapter will look like in our lives.  Change is good when it's done in His hands.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Looks like so much fun!

Mary said...

Sounds like you have grown in ways that probably wouldn't I n in Bako. I'm so glad you guys made the choice to go. I'm sure you have friends for life from NZ. Larry and I are very excited about our adventure and are just having an awesome time so far. I think everyone needs to have some adventure to really SEE what they need to do in their lives. I know that Heavenly Father is guiding us in our adventure. This weekend we are going to Salt Lake and meeting for the first time in 30 years, one of the missionaries who baptized us!!