Friday, November 5, 2010

Who am I supposed to be?

Things happened this past weekend that really made me question myself.  Who I am, why I am the way I am and what others really see in me (or according to one person’s opinion).  It was shocking  and a bit of reality, nasty and brutal reality to say the least. 

Then through the help of some really amazing friends I was able to rethink all the things that were said to me and start to see things a little differently.  That perhaps those harsh words may not be exactly true.  Thank you (you know who you are) for helping me get out of one of the biggest slumps I’ve been in for a LONG time!

Then I stumbled upon something I wrote down a while ago that I should stick up on my fridge:

“God dwells within you as you yourself, exactly the way you are. God isn’t interested in watching you enact some performance of personality in order to comply with some crackpot notion you have about how a spiritual person looks or behaves. Just stay as you were made, within your natural character.”

- Elizabeth Gilbert

"Eat, Pray, Love"

With that I will say that sure, nobody’s perfect.  We all have things we can work on to be a better person.  But I am reminded that the Lord has asked me to do things because of the person I am and NOT the person he thinks I can pretend to be.  I hope that by being “me” I can help someone out there love life a little bit more.

3 comments:

Nikkles said...

Okay...I usually don't comment on blogs...I just like to stalk them...but I HAVE to tell you what I think of you. I think you are the best, most caring, most loving, fun, accepting, creative, honest, hardworking, selfless Young Women's President I have ever known. You love the girls, and they love you. So when you start doubting yourself, just call me. I'll set you straight!
---Liz

Renée said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grammy said...

It isn't often we are told good things about ourselves. Although no one seems to mind dumping bad things on us. You are the kind of friend I like to be around, you not only make me feel good about myself, you make me want to be a better person! so there.