Thursday, March 5, 2009

Have you forgotten about slavery?

So we finally broke down and got ourselves a cleaning lady (is that the proper name to use now days?) because being 8 months pregnant and with three other kids it has made it next to impossible to get all the cleaning done that I need. Sure, I can pick up the toys, put books and papers away, makes the beds, do the laundry but we're talking the down and dirty stuff. The toilets, the shower walls, the inside of the oven and well, you know what I mean. Today was her first day and as I write this she has already been here for 4 1/2 hours. Cordell and I thought it would easily take about 2. We were way off. Either she is very thorough or our house has gotten that bad.

So while she was working inside I took the kids outside to play to get out of her way. Abby started asking me why she was in there and why she was cleaning our house. I explained that it's hard for me to do it now because of the baby inside and that it takes a lot of time to do it when I am busy kids. I told her what she was cleaning and how often she'll be coming just to help out for a while. I thought she could understand that but she just looked at me with this disgusted face. I asked her what was wrong and she said "mom, that's just mean. It's not nice to have a slave. Don't you remember what Abraham Lincoln did for slaves? He stopped people from having slaves and now you went and got one!" Ouch! I had to explain that she does this as her job and enjoys doing it for people to make them happy. By having her come it helps us and helps her with a job to get money. Then she slowly walked away and sat by a tree.

I have a feeling Abby will never look at me the same! I'm a slave driver in her eyes.

10 comments:

Clay and Kayde said...

Big ouch to you. I only wish I could have a maid/cleaning lady

Grammy said...

As I sit here laughing I am rethinking getting a cleaning lady, I have been considering getting one myself but maybe not. Really you should be happy that Abby is so bright and can take what she learns and apply it to life! Maybe have her teacher explain since you've obviously lost some credibilty. Just think how she will feel in a few years, when she is not getting paid to do some of this stuff!(Still laughing, thanks)

Memzy said...

Well lookie here!! So glad you stumbled over to my blog and left a comment. I just skimmed all your posts and your family looks great! What ward are you guys in? Congrats on the new baby coming.

The camera I have is a Canon 50D and I LOVE it!!! Great camera.

Jam said...

she is just NOW figuring out you are a slave driver!? Wait until she's 7 and doing her own laundry. . . have her call Kirsten if she has a problem with that. I love the story-she's way too smart!

The Hanson Family said...

At least those public schools are doing their job teaching history! That's a great story!

Janna said...

What a great story! I can picture the look on her face! I too wish I could have me one of those cleaning ladies/slaves. Your house still smelled clean 2 days later.

SAS said...

My slaves name is Veronica. I wish she'd move in! Great story-your girl cracks me up!

JOY said...

You gotta send that one to Vaugn for her paper!

Laurie said...

That is so funny! She's obviously very smart. That just made my day!

Kari said...

So how long did it end up taking all together? Just curious? We have had help in the past and it always took longer than I thought. 6 hours and that was not for everything either, but it was worth it. That was with her coming every week too. Congrats on the baby coming. Didn't know you were having another one, but I don't know anything, way up here in Oregon, no one tells me anything!

Kari